How to use the Buffer Prevention feature
Good evening Insomniacs,
Nothing is more annoying than buffering, watching a Movie/Show, or even music on Youtube, and that spinning circle keeps appearing.
There is a couple of things you can do as a User to prevent this from happening. Luckily, with the Insomniacs Wizard, there is an Anti-Buffer prevention feature. Each device needs to be set a certain way. The Cache settings, timeout, low speed, read buffer factor, and a few other tweaks, can make such a big difference. With the Insomniacs Anti-Buffer feature, the Wizard will analyze your device, and recommend the best settings for that particular device. And it literally takes a minute to set up. The Wizard does all the work.
First of all I will show you to set up the Anti-Buffer feature. Then i will tell you a couple of other steps you can do to put an end to Buffering…. Aswel as using the Anti-Buffer feature, there is a couple of other steps which I religiously do on a weekly basis. And i never experience any buffering.
How do i set the Anti-Buffer feature?
Ok, first of all, i will show you how to quickly set up your device, with the best settings, via the Wizard Feature:
The first thing you need to do, is head to the Wizard-Hub, as shown in the image below:
Once you click the Wizard-Hub, you need to then click the ‘Tools‘ tab. As shown below:
You will see multiple sections, Logging tools, Advanced Settings Tools, White List Tools, and so on.. The section we only need is the Advanced Settings Tools section. Under the Advanced Tools Settings section, you will see the following options:
- Quick Config – This option let’s you quickly Configue the Advanced Settings.
- Full Config – This settings is the best settings, to set up your Advanced Settings.
- Current Config – This option will show your current Advanced Settings set up.
- Delete Settings – This option deletes your current Advanced Settings options.
You need to click on the ‘Full Config‘ option as highlighted in red in the Image below:
Once you have clicked the ‘Full Config’ you will then see a graph image, which will show the settings, which the Insomniacs Wizard recommends, is best for your device. (As shown below)
As you can see, the Wizard has now given me a breakdown on what settings is best for my device. In each section, it will explain in more details, what each option means. My settings was already. But i am re-setting them for this guide to show you how it works. At the bottom of the graph, you will see 2 options: Write Now, and Cancel.
all you need to do is click the ‘Write File’ option at the bottom os the graph. (As highlighted above in the image)
Once you click the Write File, you will then see a notification to let you know that your AdvancedSettings.xml is now set. As shown at the top of the image below:
And that is it, you are done…. You have now set up your device, with the best possible settings, to help prevent buffering.
As mentioned at the beginning of this guide, i will now show you a couple of other things which I do, and it makes a huge difference. Now that your Anti-Buffer settings are in place, you just need to make sure, on a weekly basis that you do the following:
- Restart your Modem/Router – I very highly recommend that you do this at least once a week. Believe it or not, but this usually fixes 80/90% of buffering issues. Modems also get filled with Cache and data. For example: Each time, someone in your household visits a website, on a mobile phone, computer, or any connected device, your modem collects and holds that data. So if your household is anything like mine, where the kids have Mobile Phones, Tablets, computers ect.. Your Modem will soon, quickly get filled with data/cache. Turn your router off for a minute or two, then back on. It really does make a big difference.
- Use the Insomniacs Wizard ‘Total Clean Up’ feature – This function massively helps with not only buffering, but also keeping your device running at it’s best. To read up on what the Total Clean-up does, and exactly how to run it, then click this link
- Use the Insomniacs Speed Test – As you may have already seen, the new Insomniacs Wizard now has a speed test. By running this, you will then know exactly what your internet speeds are. If they appear very low, then doing step (2) Resetting your router will help, also you may have too many devices connected to your internet, or if another family member is downloading on a computer/tablet/phone, this will also affect your speed, and will contribute towards buffering.
By following these 4 steps, it genuinely makes the world of difference. As i mentioned above, i do the modem reset, and the total cleanup at least weekly. And i never get any issues.
I hope this guide, has been helpful. If you would like to know anything else, in regards to buffering, then please feel free to comment below.
The Insomniacs Team.